In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ninety-third Post ~ Bruschetta chicken atop zucchini ribbons

I spent the afternoon at Janeen's house, where we dined on savory salsa and cream-cheese pizza, baked brie with apricots, veggies, cookies, wine - you get the idea.  I decided to do something light for dinner, so I opted for veggies instead of the usual pasta that I enjoy with breaded meat.

Here's what you'll need for this meal:
~ 1 zucchini
~ Bruschetta (as you know, I'm a fan of Wegman's bruschetta)
~ Chicken tenderloins
~ EVOO
~ Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I keep my signature breadcrumb-parm-herb mix ever at the ready in my freezer)

This is an easy, quick meal.  Into a pan, slice the zucchini.  I used a veggie peeler, but would recommend a mandolin the next time.  Prevents knuckle scrapes.  Add about a tablespoon of bruschetta with about a tablespoon extra of the liquid from the container and sautee for a few minutes.  Set to the side in a bowl with a plate covering it so they steam a bit more.  Ideally, cover them with the plate you're going to serve it on so you can flip it onto the plate when you're ready.

In the pan, add a bit of EVOO and the breaded tenderloins.  Cook until done (often heralded by the fire alarm).  Place the tenderloins over the bed of zucchini ribbons and top with bruschetta.

I served this tonight with a glass of Petit Sirah by Crane Lake.  It was a fuller-bodied wine than I expected, tasting of ripe cherries, licorice and spice.  In another life, I might have thought ahead and chilled a white French table wine, as I think it would have gone with the meal better, but this wine was so heady and tasty it was more like a side dish.  Not the best pairing, as it overpowered the delicate zucchini and light freshness of the bruschetta, but overall, an enjoyable wine.

And you know, to make the wine feel better, I broke out some dark chocolate for dessert.  A better pairing has not been seen since Romeo set eyes on fair Juliet.

Yours in the love of food, wine, and food & wine,
AL


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment