In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ninety-sixth Post ~ Bruschetta-topped breaded tilapia

This was a really simple meal.  So simple, in fact, I considered not blogging about it.  But then, after thinking about my post labels such as "quick dinner," I thought, perhaps I should blog about it for just that reason.

So here you go.

Here's what you'll need:
~ 1 tilapia fillet (I used frozen, and recommend going fresh.  However, this method of preparation will be so flavorful, you won't even notice the difference)
~ Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
~ Premade bruschetta
~ Coarse-ground sea-salt
~ EVOO and/or butter

For the side I made the always-delectable roasted brussels sprouts.  See this post for easy-to-follow instructions to for preparing one of my favorite veggies in an oh-so-sweet way.  The only change I made was to exchange fresh thyme for garlic.

Start the brussels sprouts roasting.  Sprinkle ample breadcrumbs on a plate.  Generously coat both sides (including the little nook and cranny) of the tilapia fillet.  Start some EVOO heating in a pan.

: : PAUSE : :

Today something unimaginable happened.  I ran out of EVOO.  Somehow, I thought there was more in the bottle than there was, but sure enough, I tipped it into the pan, and about a teaspoon-full came out.  I thought it might be enough to sautee the tilapia, but unfortunately, it wasn't.  So I added about a tablespoon of butter (not too bad, calorie-wise, right?) and that gave the fillet the most delicately, deliciously browned edges.  Definite accidental win.

: : UNPAUSE : :

So after the tilapia is breaded, set it into the oil or butter or both.  Let it sizzle away while you stir the brussels sprouts.  Salt the upturned side of the tilapia, then flip it.  When it's done, top it with the bruschetta (remaining juice and all).  It doesn't take a lot (I saved about a tablespoon of bruschetta for this meal from when I cooked the lamb and tortellini earlier this week).

I enjoyed tonight's meal with another fabulous chilled glass of the Vinho Verde by Gazele.  Absolutely divine on such a hot summer's night!

Yours in the love of good food and wine,
AL


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

3 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE brussels sprouts!!! And the talapia sounds delish! I have never cooked fish, other than salmon patties on the grill. This sounds like a doable method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment has my maiden name on it, weird! It's me, Susanne Quagliata!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susanne! Thanks for the comment! =D It's so interesting to meet another person who loves brussels sprouts - I feel that this humble little veggie has suffered some wrongful stigma... but they're one of my favorite veggies! Roasting them makes them soooooooo sweet! A little crunchy, a little sweet... what's not to love?!

    ReplyDelete