In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Ninety-fourth Post ~ Mediterranean-inspired lamb and tortellini (okay, not really)

I say "not really" because I'm lying in the title.  "Inspired" implies forethought and premeditation.  This was a very un-pre-meditated dinner, insomuch as I didn't realize what meat I was working with until it hit the pan.  This is one of the posts through which I truly feel I've earned the "Accidental" in my blog name.

Let us begin at the beginning...

I occasionally reap the benefits of large meat purchases made by my parents.  Here and there, I'm bestowed gifts of meat which I merrily store away in my freezer and use throughout the year.  Tonight, I found, buried in the back of my freezer like a lost Christmas present beneath the tree, a particularly tempting parcel of... hamburger.  For that's what I was certain it was.

So I decided that hamburger sauteed with bruschetta would render a lovely meaty, savory sauce, perfect for the remaining tortellini that was just shrieking to be eaten up in my cupboard (only a true tortellini-lover knows how loudly and plaintively cheese-filled pasta can shriek).  So I thawed out the rich, red parcel of meat, got out my ingredients, and set the patty into the hot pan into which had already been spooned a large helping of bruschetta.

Where my senses were greeted with decidedly "NOT BEEF" messages.  The savory, rich smell hit me first - one that, for lamb-lovers, is positively intoxicating.  The juicy texture reached my spatula next.  This was not ground beef - this was ground lamb.  I had brought it home intending to make my mother's delectable orange-glaze sauce (caramel, really) that she serves these patties with (along with a bed of white rice to soak up the remaining sauce).

I would not normally have thought lamb+bruschetta = tortellini dish!  But that's what I had in front of me in the pan.

And I'm here to tell you that this was one happy accident!

Here's what you'll need:

~ 1 ground lamb patty (you'll most likely have to special-order these from your butcher, but they're oh-so worth it)
~ Pre-made bruschetta
~ Touch of black truffle oil
~ Dash of balsamic vinegar
~ Tortellini
~ Fresh oregano

So, as previously mentioned, start a pan heating on low-medium with 2-3 heaping tablespoons of bruschetta.  Start a small pot of boiling water going at the same time.  Add the ground lamb to the bruschetta.  Break it up and stir it around.  Let it cook uncovered for about 5-7 minutes, adding some truffle oil (this puts it over the top) and covering it for the remaining time the pasta cooks.  Drain the pasta and uncover the sauce.  Relish in the savory aromas!  Toss the tortellini in the sauce and allow it to meld for a minute or so on low-to-no heat.  Top it with fresh oregano for a truly wonderful dish.

I paired this meal with the Petite Sirah by Crane Lake from last night.  Oh, dear readers, this was a good, good pairing.  Perhaps Sirah and lamb were made for each other, for fruity notes sang from this wine that hadn't been as evident last night.  Spices came to the fore as well, blending harmoniously with the rich flavor of the lamb but not fighting the bruschetta at all.

All in all, a good meal.  Accidentally, of course!
Yours in the love of good food and wine,
AL


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment