In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Twenty-Sixth Post ~ Caprese Salad à la Accidental Chef with Mixed Greens


Ah, caprese... many years of my life I was drawn to this simple, colorful salad only to find it lacking in taste. Apparently, for many years, I hadn't been eating the right kind of caprese. After a weekend touring the Ohio wine country, I have Meg to thank for turning me into a fan of all things caprese (and in return, I succeeded in turning her into a fan of chardonnay - although she still prefers stainless to oak barrels, but we can work on that!).
..
So in any case, I got hooked. It just took one particular caprese (from CK's Steakhouse at the Quail Hollow near Cleveland, OH) served with a hint of balsamic, the freshest, most flavorful tomatos I've ever tasted and a salty mozzarella to turn me. From that moment on, I knew that caprese salads would be an important part of my summer culinary capers.
.
The day I got back, I rushed to Wegman's to get the ingredients to make it at home. So here's what you'll need to create the dinner pictured above, including one ingredient that I forgot:
.
~ Tomato (I chose a large, locally-grown one)
~ Mozzarella (fresh is best)
~ Greens (I chose organic mixed from Wegmans - normally expensive, but the amount I bought cost just under 50 cents)
~ Olive oil
~ Balsamic vinegar (I used the balsamic marinade from past posts)
~ Lemon juice
~ Salt/pepper
~ Fresh basil (how, how, HOW could I have forgotten? The morning after I cooked this I woke up, watered my basil plant in the window and smacked myself. Guess this just means I'll have to make it again)
.
::PAUSE::
.
I read up on it a bit online, and I guess there's something personal about how everyone makes a caprese and whether their rendition qualifies as a true caprese or not. Technically, it shouldn't even have greens with it, but I liked the variety. At one point I encountered a thread containing a flame war - an all-out, no-holds-barred vicious flame war - regarding whether or not to use balsamic. It was then that I decided to go it alone. I'd do it my way, and if it was not quite "caprese" enough for some people, well, then I'd ask them to remember that everyone is different! After all, chicken soup consists mainly of chicken, onion and celery, but I'd dare anyone to say that their homemade chicken soup tastes exactly like someone else's!
.
::UNPAUSE::
.
So here's how I made MY caprese salad à la Accidental Chef:
.
Slice the tomato. I have to say that the home-grown was a good pick - it was the first time in my life that I actually picked up a piece of tomato that didn't have anything on it and ate it. It was awesome.
.
Drizzle some olive oil over the tomato and let the slices soak in it. Now, here's the really controversial part: Drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic over the tomato slices and let THAT soak in. Fend off flames from angry readers.
.
Slice the mozzarella. In retrospect, my slices of tomato and mozzarella were a little thick. I would suggest cutting them a bit thinner than I did, just to give it more variety on the plate.
.
Layer the mozzarella and tomato on the plate. Place the greens next to the arrangement. Add a bit of balsamic to the greens. Squeeze some lemon juice over the whole plate and add some salt and pepper. Add fresh basil, if you remember. If you wish, you can set it in the fridge to chill and meld before you eat it.
.
Given the origins of the caprese salad, I felt it only appropriate to serve this fresh dinner with an Italian pinot noir (Cadonini vineyards). It tasted of sun-ripened strawberries and raspberries but was still earthy enough to balance out the richness of the dark greens and saltiness of the cheese. A wonderful pairing for a hot summer night!
.
Yours in the love of good food, wine, and the joy of broadening your culinary horizons,
AL
.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment