In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Twenty-seventh post ~ Lemon and Herb Tilapia


The weather has gotten hotter this August, so for the better part of the day, I grazed on fresh fruits and veggies directly out of the fridge, with the occasional nut for protein. I knew that I should cook something substantial for dinner tonight, but what can one eat on a day whose humidity is reminiscent of walking into a bathroom after someone has taken a 30-minute shower?
.
The answer, my friends, is fish. And not a hearty fish like salmon, either. Days like today call for a fish that is light and flakey. Namely, tilapia.
.
I found this fillet at Wegmans for just under $3.00. This afternoon, I prepped the fish so that it could marinate while I was working. Thus, the actual time spent slaving over the hot stove tonight was minimum! Here's what you'll need for tonight's dinner:
.
~ Fish (while I used tilapia, orange roughy is another nice light fish)
~ Chives
~ Onion
~ Lemon
~ Olive oil
~ Salt and pepper to taste
~ White wine (I purchased a New Yorker for my white this week: Bully Hill's "Fish Market White." The picture on the label of the "Lady of Martinique" reminded me of my travels in the Caribbean, and just that alone seemed to pair well with today's weather!)
.
As we're trying to keep tonight's dinner light, I'd suggest a veggie rather than a starch. I realize that a lot of my posts feature green beans, but in truth, they're one of my favorite veggies. They're tasty, inexpensive, easy to cook and good for you. What's not to love? I cooked these pre-cut, prewashed French beans by sauteeing them in a little oil and then adding some white wine and water to steam them. As they were finishing I added some salt, pepper and garlic.
.
So, back to the fish. My brain is too hot and tired to relate all of this in chronological order. Hopefully you've read this through to the end before you've actually started cooking. In any case...
.
In the afternoon, put about a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan in which you wish to cook the fish. Turn the fish in the pan a few times to coat it. Salt and pepper it. Mince some onion onto it...
.
::PAUSE::
.
I've never really learned a lot about onions. I don't particularly like onions, honestly, but I'm slowly discovering the punch they can add to food and starting to warm to them. Because I don't know much about them, I'm not too picky when shopping for them. I saw these tiny little onions at Wegmans and thought, "Tiny onions. Perfect for a person cooking for one: waste not, want not..." and purchased them because of their size without a second thought. It turns out that what I minced up for my fish tonight was a "cibol" or Welsh onion (the misnomer Welsh coming from a misinterpreted Old English word welisc meaning "foreign" rather than "of Wales," as this little root hails from Asia). It packs a lot of flavor into such a tiny space, and a little goes a long ways. Once cooked, it has a slightly carmelized, sweet taste. I've become a fan.
.
::UNPAUSE::
.
So mince up a bit of whatever onion-related bulb you happen to be in possession of, and scatter it over the fish. Squeeze ample lemon juice over it, snip some chives onto it, and then cut paper-thin slices of lemon to lay over the top of it. Slap a lid on and place it in your fridge for the afternoon. Get it out about 45 minutes before you're ready to cook so it starts to warm up.
.
When you're ready to cook it, put it on the stove and start it heating up. Pour some white wine into the pan, but not over the fish. As soon as it starts sizzling, cover it and cook your veggie. Keep adding tiny bits of white wine gradually as its cooking so that it's never without liquid but never really boiling in it, either.
.
The result will be a sweet, zesty, flavorful meal. The onions that fall off the fish carmelize with the wine, creating a really savory sauce that's still light and not too heavy. The lemon slices steam over the fish, releasing all of the flavor but somehow none of that acidic punch that you usually get from lemon.
.
The Fish Market White paired perfectly. While the label says that it's from "hybrid grapes," I'm guessing there's some sweet Delaware in there, as well as something slightly more citrussy like a Sauvingon. It pairs well, making this meal filling, yet light and refreshing. A must for this kind of weather!
.
Yours in the love of good food and wine,
AL
.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment