In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Eleventh Post: Meat, Cheese, Bread, Fruit ~ Enjoying the Simple Things

Cooking involves combining tastes for maximum enjoyment. But sometimes it's just nice to savor each of those tastes independently.
.
As long as I can remember, my favorite lunch was what my mom named a "Goodie Lunch." In grade school, nothing made me smile more than snapping open a tupperware container to find neatly rolled slices of ham or turkey, a piece of cheese, crackers and some fruit or vegetables. (Yeah, I seriously had the world's greatest mama.) Today, I enjoy grown-up "goodie lunches," and have fond memories of my lunchbox days!
.
This type of selection can be prepared as a larger plate, and might serve as a rustic offering at the next party you host or attend! There's something timeless about its appearance - and in fact, there's very little about this selection of food that has changed in a good number of centuries!
.
Today, I got a hearty slice of ham off the bone (which I can use for dinner later on this week, too!) a cheese flight (this week's: Beemster classic, sage derby and Yancy's XXX sharp) which came with a bunch of grapes, and a bulk roll. Paired with a tall glass of lemonade, it's the perfect lunch to nibble on as I work on grading papers!
.
Yours in the love of savoring the timelessly simple things one at a time,
AL
.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment