In which the world of culinary hedonism is explored with a cup and a half of curiosity, a heaping tablespoon of passion and a dash of clumsiness.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fourth Post - Egg: Perfectly Poached, Paired with Parmesan and Parsley (and Premier of Pictoral Posts!)

First of all, give me a big gold star for alliteration.

Second of all, I'm slaving away at my midterm paper (if you're reading this, J. P. Guilford - CALL ME!) and my stomach is distracting me. I've miles to go before I can even think of dinner or of sleeping, for that matter, but I need a snack. I need brain food. I need - wait for it - AN EGG!

I love eating poached eggs because it gives you all the joy of an egg without the added guilt of butter and oil.
.
They're pretty easy to make once you get the hang of it - but as I've learned with eggs: you MUST LISTEN TO THEM. This is one of those cases. Everything will be alright if you just do EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.
.
What you'll need:
1 egg
toast (you can figure that out)
shredded cheese
parsley
vinegar
.
Start water boiling in a larger-than-you-would-think-necessary pot. Put a little salt in.
While water is heating, get out an egg and crack it into a prep bowl. Do this unless you're some kind of expert at cracking eggs and never pierce the yolk. You cannot poach an egg if the yolk's been pierced.
Pay the egg a compliment to make it cooperate later. Try "My, you look sunny today!"
While the water's heating, brew a pot of coffee. This is brain food, after all. No wine - wait for dinner to celebrate having written your paper.
Get out some shredded cheese. I like shredded parmesan.
Get out some parsley flakes, 'cause parsley pairs prettily with parmesan for pictures.
Once your water's boiling, put a piece of toast down. I like potato bread.
This is key: add a splash of vinegar to the water, then turn it down so it's lightly bubbling.
Next, start stirring the water around so that it forms a vortex.
.
PAUSE
.
The vortex is key. It's how the egg is going to cook evenly, effectively and prettily. Make a nice, solid vortex. No reason to hurry, here. Pretend you're in Potions class and Professor Snape is peering over your shoulder.
.
UNPAUSE
.
Softly dump the egg into the vortex.
Time it for EXACTLY 90 SECONDS.
That should be time for you to pour your coffee and put your piece of toast on a plate.
Remove the egg carefully with a slotted spoon. Rest the egg against the pot side for a moment to get the excess water off.
Set it on the toast and garnish with a sprinkle of parm and parsley.
.
10 points for Gryffindor! Bon appetite! Back to the books!
.
Yours in the love of food, and for this meal, organic Guatemalan coffee with sugar and a touch of heavy cream,
AL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blogger is not an experienced chef. She takes no responsibility for the quality of the meals prepared while following her advice. Use your own judgment regarding cooking times and proper food handling.

4 comments:

  1. Your picture taking, cooking talents AND alliteration makes a mom proud! Keep up the good cooking!
    Mama (Sandie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. an egg without bacon is like a day without sunshine.

    I'll let it go this time A-lo. This time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing makes me consider cooking more than just my standard breakfast of egg whites...Also nice having no meat, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks for the comments, everyone! Sorry I didn't get to these sooner. Yes, I will be posting a number of entries that are vegetarian - while I do eat meat (see the post on the steak, Mike) I also do not mind going a few meals without it.

    Thanks for the comments on the pics, Mama - and everyone else - my mother is an amateur photographer, and very good, too. Please pressure her along with me to make a book of her travel photos.

    =D

    ReplyDelete